Monday, April 20, 2009

Reflection on the Essay

Regarding my essay here, a reflection... which is also on that site, in italics below the main body.

Weirdly enough, I'd written on religious and scientific points of view on my own blog, as copypasted into one of my journal entries. I wasn't sure how much personal discussion we could include in the essays, however, but at least I was in the right frame of mind. It's always a little bit difficult to find a topic you can love/discuss fully for several pages/paragraphs, and I still seem to approach such a task broadly at best.

I also could've used more sources probably, but procrastination tends to shrink the list. I have a large amount of library books that have been sitting around my desk for the last several months that will likely be used for the podcast if I open them, including some good ones on perspective. However, I'm not recycling my essay topic for the podcast so that's a useless purpose. The scrub jay example is incredibly minor, but works (although disregarded by a teenage[?] creationist a few years back when arguing online "It's just a bird; it didn't turn into anything spectacularly new!")

This essay topic was used somewhat for my persuasive speech in Comm 250, where I argued that Intelligent Design was a pseudoscience, using some arguments from this that the supernatural cannot be objectively analyzed and utilizing Behe's broad definition that would include things recognized as pseudoscience (astrology and the like).

No comments:

Post a Comment