Sunday, November 6, 2016

Review: Voyage of the Basilisk

Voyage of the Basilisk Voyage of the Basilisk by Marie Brennan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was delightful. I haven't read Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin yet, so I'm not sure if I missed references (and I imagine actual Victorian travelogues are more verbally dense, but then again it might be analogous to her in-world book, Around the World in Search of Dragons).

I'm a fan of natural history, so combining natural history and fantasy means I adore this series. And in the third installment of the memoirs of Lady Trent, we go seaborne: first towards the arctic in search of sea serpents, then to not!South America where we meet our new archaeologist friend who happens to own a diving bell, and then through a bit of sailing and political strife end up in not!Hawaii. All the while, Isabella struggles over how dragon taxonomy should work: do the classical bins fit, or are there more subtle gradients, especially given sea serpents and fire lizards have some features but not all? I cannot recall other fiction books that consider their zoology like this and if anyone knows of any, please mention them in the comments!

As in The Tropic of Serpents, analogues to real world cultures are done well, with shades of historical attitudes but without making our heroine either a historically accurate but not fun jerk or out-of-place with modern sensibilities. Gender and roles in not!Hawaii in particular are handled gracefully- (view spoiler)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment