Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Commentary on Ken Miller ahoy!

I forgot about this extra credit assignment over break... and today really isn't the best of days to squeeze in an extra 2-3 page assignment, but I'll try (at the expense of studying for chem 102... ugh)

Ken Miller describes that the atheist's mistake is to assume that God is included in the natural and can thus be tested along with other phenomena in the coliseum of science. I agree with his point- it's the converse of using the supernatural to explain natural observations. They are separate windows looking on the same patch of grass.

I also notice he uses the word 'delusion', perhaps a nod toward Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion. While I haven't yet read any of Dawkins' works (despite having a rather large pile of library books around my desk), I am aware of his atheistic standpoint. The use of that word here is to perhaps separate science from the stereotypical godless heathen sacrificing Bibles at the feet of Darwin (not sure if that's actually a valid stereotype, but it's an interesting mental image).

Alas, I've got to be somewhere in five minutes. Will continue this later, if I have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment