Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Liveblog/notes part 2: Evolution: What About God?

Alas, did not have enough time to do the extra credit. I'll try to finish it and post it here, even though I won't receive extra credit for it- reflecting for the fun of it.

Egad, half the students signed on to add special creation to their courses? I might've misheard that. I wonder what those shirts say... if they can give me a book giving detailed support for special creation, awesome. I just don't see it.

Hey Eugenie Scott! :D Interesting how so much fuss can be dispelled by clearly defining evolution and pointing out it does NOT explicitly endorse or deny a God (although personal frame of reference can angle it one way or another).

Students taking the initiative remind me of a YA fiction book called Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande. The protagonist is a teenage girl, raised in a religious background. Already somewhat of a pariah for stopping a campaign against a gay student, she further gets caught in the crossfire when the evolution unit comes up. It's an interesting read- more insightful than other YA fiction.

...a petition, with special creation? It sounds like they've already decided without having various theories floated in front of them. I wanted to find a copy of The Genesis Flood in the library, but couldn't find it- that'll be a summer read.

I agree with that teacher- if so many students are into this, did something go wrong in the education process? OH GOD. Not the 'we came from water' or 'cats to dog' nonsense I've seen online. At least the students here aren't like the ones in the Brande book, turning their desks around or just walking out.

Hm, I see how the Ken Miller article was relevant. I almost want to read The God Delusion to see Dawkins' perspective, even though I have a feeling I'll disagree with him.

Mmm.... the 'forms most beautiful' quote. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment