Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Liveblog/notes- Evolution: What About God?

Opens with a Ken Ham lecture in... Ohio? I love looking at the crowd to see a few bored kids... but at the same time it's very disconcerting to see so many young kids singing along with such a vile song.

I find the idea that 'if the Bible is factually wrong, then we should discard its morality too' disgusting. It's like saying 'a pineapple's covered in spikes, let's not even bother eating the thing'. You do not need a literal interpretation of the Bible to take meaning from it. I mean, Jesus himself used parables to convey morality tales (would that make the Bible Jesusmeta then?).

On a more shallow note, is Liam Neeson narrating this?

SERIOUSLY disturbs me how many young kids are listening to Ken Ham, along with his cartoon illustrations. Figures they'd use folksy music as another medium to push their message.

Wheaton College... hm. I didn't think there were that many conservative Christians in the Chicago area, but then, I don't know much about the Midwest. Oh, it's a Christian campus? Ah, ok.

~sigh~ Nathan Baird's family thing is somewhat familiar to me. My family didn't go to church on a regular basis, but recent discussions with my mom indicate she feels she failed by not taking my brother and me to church and thinks something's wrong with me for thinking science is God's touch on the universe (funny how this conversation never came up in my previous 18 years at home). Apologies for the offtopicness, but this does feel a little close to home.

Hee, I like Baird's grandma- echoes my dad's sentiment that I should be able to reason out what I believe. Baird's dad bothers me... guh. I'm afraid that's how my conversation with my mom'll be when I finally sit down and talk to her about what I do and don't believe.

"I don't know how to make sense of that". Simple, Emi- don't take the Bible literally. Oh, Seventh Day Adventist? Ah, ok. There was a private seventh day adventist school next to my middle school.

Indeed, this is pretty much the basis of the debate- the special place of humans in God's eyes. Wait, the faculty has to sign a statement affirming belief in a historical of Adam and Eve? Separ- oh wait, it's a private college. Separation of Church and State doesn't necessarily hold then, I think...?

The letter declaring she'd rather see her daughter dead than lose her faith at college is HARSH. To make the choice between education and faith... to me it seems worse to be blind and faithful.

A student asks Keith Miller about reconciling being made in the image of God with evolutionary theory- Keith says he personally thinks Adam and Eve were specially chosen out of the humans by God. Interesting.

Oh no... not another musical thing for Go- oh, Simple Gifts. I don't think the Shakers had any perspectives on evolution... I didn't catch this anthropology major's name, but he mentioned if he had to make a choice, he'd pick Young Earth creationism because he grew up with it, he's comfortable with it.

Beth S.- grew up in Zamibia(?), open to ideas regarding Bible & science.

Emi Hayashi makes a good point- it's silly for an ignorant fundamentalist to point out 'flaws' in science as it is for a nontheist to point out flaws in Christianity without any theological background.

OH NO NOT KEN HAM AGAIN. "God said it, I believe, that settles it." Hm. Does this video predate the Creation Museum, I wonder? That diorama looked like it'd fit in with that thing.

End of class, will be continued on Thursday.

AHA IT IS LIAM NEESON.

No comments:

Post a Comment